[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 21 00:38:39 CEST 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 18:10, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> I've developed two bdist commands (bdist_pkg and bdist_mpkg) for
>> usage on OS X.  These commands apply to any setup.py that supports an
>> "install" command, similar to bdist_wininst, so it would be nice if
>> every setup.py didn't have to explicitly import something in order to
>> get the commands there.
>> I know I can make it work with a pth file that imports bdist_pkg, but
>> that seems a bit costly to do because it will end up importing a
>> bunch of stuff (distutils, mainly).
>> Is there another way to do it?
>
> Submit them for inclusion in the standard distribution ;-)

I will, for 2.5... but there's quite some time between now and then.

> Please use a different name for bdist_pkg, though, since pkg is already
> used for Solaris binary packages (unless, of course, yours works for
> Solaris packages as well).

Well .pkg is used for Mac OS X binary packages too.  Also, the only hit
on google for bdist_pkg is a comment I made a couple months ago.
Anyhow, the most useful command is bdist_mpkg, which builds
metapackages, so I'll call it that and remove the bdist_pkg command if
it makes you happy :)

-bob