[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Oct 21 09:51:50 CEST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2004, at 19:09, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Import hooks are bad. Avoid them if you can.
>>
>> What so bad in adding a sinlge import to all your setup.pys ?
>> That import could then trigger the installation of the new
>> command by importing distutils and tweaking the cmdclass
>> in distutils, e.g.
>>
>> import biDistutilsExtensions
>
> Because I want to recommend that people use bdist_mpkg to install
> arbitrary python packages similar to the way that bdist_wininst is
> used.  Yes, I know import hooks are bad, but I don't want people to have
> to go around modifying every setup.py they see.

I was talking about the packager, not the user who wants to install
a package (s/he would use the output of bdist_mpkg, not the
setup.py).

I also assume that there will have to be other modifications
to the code to make it compatible to bdist_mpkg - just like you
have to provide extra options to make bdist_wininst and bdist_rpm
do what you like.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 21 2004)