[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Oct 21 10:25:13 CEST 2004

Mark W. Alexander wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 01:03:54AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>>Well .pkg is used for Mac OS X binary packages too.  Also, the only hit
>>>on google for bdist_pkg is a comment I made a couple months ago.
>>
>>We once had a bdist_pkgtool in CVS but had to remove it again
>>due to copyright issues. Dito for bdist_sdux:
>>
>>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/Lib/distutils/command/Attic/
>>
>>Looks like bdist_pkg is OK after all :-) It's a long time
>>ago I had reviewed those packages.
>

> Yes, pkgtool is the "proper" Solaris, well, package tool. And I'm +1 for
> _any_ additional bdist_* commands being included in mainline.
>
> Also, the issue was not copyright per se, but my employer's name on the
> PSF Contributor Agreement. I'm _still_ working that issue (2 years!
> that's depressing), however I was recently granted permission to assume
> maintainership of an existing Python-style licensed project (pyssh) so
> there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hey, that'd be great !

We definitely need more of these bdist_xxx commands, e.g.
one for Debian packages, MSI packages, maybe even Inno Setup
packages, etc.

> (I hope it's not a train ;)
>
> But I'll offer once again advisory assistance to anyone who wants to
> "clean room" a bdist_pkgtool and bdist_sdux that can sign the
> Contributor Agreement. I strongly believe that the more native package
> managers Distutils supports, the easier it is to get Python into
> "enterprises."
>
> Based on having some approval to publish code absent my employer's name,
> I've considered packaging the original submissions as "Distutils
> Extensions" outside of mainline, since they are standalone files with no
> impact on or changes in any other distutils modules. What are thoughts
> on that approach?

Note that the PSF is currently working on getting a contributor
agreement ready to be published (and it changed a lot since the
first round of agreements were discussed).

Perhaps the new version will make things easier for you ?!
(I don't have a URL for it, please email the PSF about this
issue.)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 21 2004)