[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Fri Oct 22 23:18:37 CEST 2004

One thing that no one has mentioned in this thread is the "command-packages"
support I added to distutils for Python 2.4.  I think this supports Bob's use
case well.

What's needed is to install a Python package containing the new commands
somewhere on the search path (preferably in .../site-packages).  Then edit
the Python installations distutils config file (bet you didn't know about
that!) to include

    [global]
    command-packages=my.pkg

The new commands will be available for all setup.py scripts.

This is a documented feature; you can read more about it at

    http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/dist/node29.html

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>