[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Sat Oct 23 04:14:57 CEST 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 06:23 pm, Bob Ippolito wrote:
 > I need an editable file in a system-wide directory such as
 > site-packages that isn't "owned" by the Python installation.  Even if
 > this were the case, it would be a real pain to implement, because it
 > would have to be done as a very careful postflight script that merges
 > the user's current config file with the necessary additions (in this
 > case, make sure to preserve anything else in the command-packages list
 > if there is one).

Something that's supposed to affect all users should require that root set it
up.  I understand the issue about it being owned by the Python installation,
though.

Where would you suggest it be?  $prefix/etc/distutils.cfg, perhaps?  What
about on Windows?

If there's general agreement that this should move out of the Python
installation itself, perhaps we can add a new location to the search for
Python 2.5.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>