[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Oct 23 18:09:06 CEST 2004

On Oct 23, 2004, at 11:40, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 23-okt-04, at 15:31, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> How do you uninstall an installed package? I haven't found a system
>>> tool for that yet.
>>
>> There isn't one, but the capability is designed into the system.
>> There are 3rd party tools that do it.  Basically you do a lsbom on
>> the receipt and remove what's listed.
>
> That should be save enough for installed python packages and some
> other 3th-party packages, but not in general. Some of Apple's packages
> replace files from other packages; you cannot see this in the BOM file
> and the original file is lost forever. Most, if not all, of these
> packages are updates/patches for installed software.

That's why I said "basically".  In the general case, you would need to
maintain a database that contained the contents of all receipts to
determine such things, and state that certain changes couldn't be
reverted... but that's not our job, we just need to use the installer
system as documented, and that feature will happen when it happens.

-bob