[Distutils] Extending distutils with 3rd party build commands?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Oct 24 11:27:18 CEST 2004

On 23-okt-04, at 19:32, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> This already exists in the form of:
>>>
>>>     """
>>>         There are three possible config files: distutils.cfg in the
>>>         Distutils installation directory (ie. where the top-level
>>>         Distutils __inst__.py file lives), a file in the user's home
>>>         directory named .pydistutils.cfg on Unix and pydistutils.cfg
>>>         on Windows/Mac, and setup.cfg in the current directory.
>>>         """
>> None of those fit the bill.  The distutils package is owned by the
>> Python installation, files in user directories or the current
>> directory are not system-wide.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "owned".

He means that ${prefix} is in a part of the filesystem that is claimed
by the OS vendor (Apple). Apple could wipe that part of the file system
and recreate it when you install an OS patch.

Apple has make special arrangements to move site-packages outside of
"their" part of the filesystem: site-packages is in
/Library/Python/2.3, which is "owned" by the system administrator.

Ronald