[Distutils] Feedback on a couple of patches for bdist_rpm.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 6 06:01:53 CEST 2004

I've just been assigned a couple of patches related to bdist_rpm.  They
are from Anthony Tuininga (atuining), and I'd like to get feedback from
the Distutils SIG on them.

The first is:

   The _topdir directive to the bdist_rpm command is
   calculated incorrectly when the --bdist-base or
   --dist-dir options to the command use absolute path
   names. It should use os.path.abspath() instead, I
   believe. It would be nice if this patch was backported
   to earlier versions of Python as well but it is not
   critical for me. If you have further questions, let me
   know.

This patch changes the RPM command-line as:

             rpm_cmd.extend(['--define',
-                             '_topdir %s/%s' % (os.getcwd(), self.rpm_base),])
+                             '_topdir %s' % os.path.abspath(self.rpm_base)])

That looks good to me.

The next patch is:

   This patch supplies a new option to bdist_rpm to allow
   the setting of the AutoReq flag in RPM to false. This
   ensures that no dependencies are calculated
   automatically. If you have further questions or want
   the name of the option changed, please feel free to ask.

The option in this case is called "--no-autoreq".

I think these patches are both fine, but wanted to get feedback on them.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sean
--
 I love the smell of napalm in the morning.  It smells like...  Victory.
               -- _Apocalypse_Now_