[Distutils] package_data issue (chopping off characters)

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 13 15:45:11 CEST 2005

Jeremy Sanders wrote:

> When it is run with
> python setup.py bdist_rpm
>
> I get,
>
> running bdist
> running bdist_dumb
> running build
> running build_py
> creating build/lib/veusz/mages
> error: can't copy 'mages/logo.png': doesn't exist or not a regular file

Coincidentally I have seen the same symptom last night, though the context
was different:

The bdist_rpm command calls the 'install' commands (with all its subcommands)
to install everything under a predefined root directory. It tells the 'install'
command about that root path and the install command modifies all its paths
accordingly (search for 'change_root' in distutils/commands/install.py).

However, I made a small error in my 'install_clib' command's 'get_outputs()'
method in that it didn't consider the modified paths but the original ones.
bdist_rpm then cut off what it thought was the root directory, but due to
the error the resulting paths were incorrect (i.e. appeared 'chopped off'
as in your case).

You didn't mention any custom commands, and so I'm not sure that's really
related to your error. It may give some hints, though,  as to where to look
further.

HTH,
		Stefan