[Distutils] [build_ext] more than one external library

Christoph Ludwig cludwig at cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Apr 15 15:09:26 CEST 2005

Hi,

I use the distutils shipped with Python 2.4 on a i686-pc-linux-gnu system.

I am wondering how can I pass more than one external library to distutils'
build_ext option (on the command line or even better via setup.cfg)?

In analogy to --include-dirs I'd expect

  ./setup.py build_ext --libraries A:B

to generate a linker call similar to:

  g++ -lA -lB  # ... other arguments and options

But I get:

  g++ -lA:B # ...

I also tried

  ./setup.py build_ext --libraries 'A B'
  ./setup.py build_ext --libraries A B
  ./setup.py build_ext --libraries A,B
  ./setup.py build_ext --libraries A --libraries B

but to no avail. (In the last case the second --libraries option seems to
overwrite the first one.)

Is this feature missing and I need to put the library list in the libraries
option of the respective Extension constructor in setup.py? Or did I fail to
try the correct syntax?

Best regards

Christoph

--