[Distutils] bdist_rpm and bdist on x86-64

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Mon Apr 18 20:30:36 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Why not os.exists() ?

Probably better :-)

> Wouldn't checking for the lib file in either lib64
> or lib be more reliable ?

That might be better. I don't know whether it's possible that more than
one python is installed (one in /lib and one in /lib64).

> Hmm, this is not entirely correct, e.g. Suse 9.2 puts
> the site-packages directory and all the other .py files
> into /usr/lib64 as well - not only the platforma dependent
> files.
>
> Not sure what other AMD64 distros do... but I have a feeling
> the /lib/ should *always* be replaced by unix_platlib.

It looks like RedHat/Fedora patch their package to only put the platform
specific files in /lib64 (that's how I made my patch).

Perhaps this isn't a good idea to do then :-(  I wonder whether it would
be possible for distribution to set these values somewhere. Couldn't
python have a sys function to return its Makefile?

(anyway, I've managed to get my setup.py to work with the built-in
distutils...)

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jeremy at jeremysanders.net>