[Distutils] bdist_rpm and bdist on x86-64

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Wed Apr 20 10:49:08 CEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Jeremy, didn't you get my last posting ? It is rather easy
> to find the Makefile since the config/ dir is stored in the
> same place as the rest of the Python std lib (provided the
> distros didn't munge that fact as well, like e.g. some
> which remove distutils from the std lib <grumble>).

Yes, we could just do something like

os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.__file__), 'config', 'Makefile')

to find the Makefile location (as long as os doesn't become built-in, like
sys, or ends up in a zip file).

There's still the problem of working out where x86-64 non specfic things
should get installed in lib64 or lib. I don't see an easy answer there.

It is a real shame that RedHat/Fedora didn't get this sorted before they
started distributing python on x86-64. I wonder what SuSE are doing with
lib/lib64?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jeremy at jeremysanders.net>