[Distutils] [build_ext] more than one external library

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 20 15:37:13 CEST 2005

Christoph Ludwig wrote:

>>python setup.py config <all parameters you'd normally pass to 'configure'>
>>python setup.py build
>>python setup.py test (optional)
>>python setup.py install
>

> In the short term I will probably settle for a README that tells the user to
> modify the library names in setup.py. But in the long term your approach would
> allow me to merge the Python extension module with the library it calls.
>
> Are you in a position (and willing, of course) to share the code for above
> mentioned commands?

Sure. Have a look at

http://synopsis.fresco.org/viewsvn/synopsis-Synopsis/trunk/Synopsis/dist/command/

* 'config' calls 'configure' on a number of subprojects
* 'build_syn_ext' runs 'make' on extension modules (completely bypassing distutils'
    own 'Extension' data structure !)
* 'build_syn_clib' runs 'make' on subprojects that generate standalone DSOs, not
    meant to be directly accessed as python extensions
* 'test' runs a unit/regression test suite (qmtest based)

Good luck !

		Stefan