[Distutils] easy_install: --tag-svn-revision

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Aug 10 22:08:38 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:12 AM 8/10/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> Should easy_install have a --tag-svn-revision option like
>> setuptools/setup.py has?  I'm feeling a desire for it now, while
>> installing someone else's package that's only available in svn.
>

> One minor concern: should --tag-svn-revision apply to dependencies too?
>
> I'm -0 on this, since --editable lets you do this with only a little
> fuss.  If you can come up with a rationale for dealing with dependencies
> or multiple easy_install targets, and a patch, I'll take it.

I want to install a package that isn't using setuptools, so I can't run
"setup.py develop" without changing the setup.py file to use setuptools.

I don't think --tag-svn-revision should apply to dependencies.  Maybe it
should even be an error if you try to use it on a package that isn't a
subversion repository.

Really the reason I brought it up is that easy_install can apply
setuptools commands to non-setuptools distributions, but "setup.py
develop" can't.