[Distutils] setuptools presentation

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Aug 12 21:35:10 CEST 2005

CC'ing to bring together opposing viewpoints... (this is referring to
setuptools' "setup.py test" command, which expects to have a TestSuite
to run)

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Also, the 'test' command isn't "limited" to unittest, it
> just expects a unittest-compatible wrapper.  For example, doctest has
> functions that wrap doctests as unittest suites, so it's quite possible
> to use that.  As far as I'm concerned, unittest suites are the WSGI of
> testing; if somebody creates a fancy new test framework, they should
> darn well make it possible to put a unittest suite wrapper around it, so
> that people can integrate their existing tests.  :)

Well, I don't know what exactly my opinion is.  At a py.test user I
don't have TestSuites for my tests.  I've argued py.test should load
TestCase-based tests by default, but this is kind of the opposite.  I
don't think it would be that hard to produce such suites; the test items
that py.test collects could just be stuffed into a TestCase.

The result would be acceptable as a sort of "this package thinks it runs
okay" test.  It's not the frontend I'd like to give to users.

That said, if "python setup.py test ..." was completely equivalent to
"py.test ..." then that would be great, because though the interface
would be different from projects that use unittest, the entry point
would be the same (assuming py.test is installed).  I suppose a package
could add an entry point that overrides the normal setuptools test
command...?