[Distutils] Dependencies

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Aug 13 21:08:14 CEST 2005

At 06:57 PM 8/13/2005 +0200, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote:
>Hi,
>Are dependencies taken into account inside PyPI records?

No.

>I mean both build dependencies and run dependencies.

Neither.

>If yes where can I find more info? How do setuptools manage it, how can I
>access this info?

Setuptools lets you declare this information in the setup script; see the
setuptools.txt file for details.  The "egg_info" command writes the data to
a file, that is then read by other commands and also put into the built
egg's metadata.

This information isn't something really suitable for PyPI, because the
setup script is allowed to compute the information dynamically.  (Some
dependencies might apply only to a particular platform, for example.)