[Distutils] py2exe and eggs

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Aug 19 22:14:49 CEST 2005

At 03:52 PM 8/19/2005 -0400, Jay Parlar wrote:
>On 8/19/05, Kevin Dangoor <dangoor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did you try installing them with the -Z (--always-unzip) option? Just
> > curious if that makes any difference to how py2exe works its
> > dependency magic.
>

>Look at that, seems to work like a charm. I think that will be my new
>solution until something real is in place.

Okay, so are you doing anything else special?  Or are you able to use an
otherwise-unchanged py2exe setup script if you install its dependencies
using ---always-unzip?

If so, I'd suggest doing this in the setup.cfg of projects that will use
py2exe:

     [easy_install]
     zip_ok = 0

This will make EasyInstall unzip any dependencies it builds as part of the
"install" command; i.e., you'll need to run "setup.py install py2exe" in
order to download the dependencies, install them to site-packages, and then
run py2exe.  However, it will mysteriously break if a dependency was
already installed as a zip.  :(

Kind of kludgy, but I guess it at least gets you going.