[Distutils] setuptools/EasyInstall 0.6a1 candidate 1 snapshot

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Aug 22 18:17:08 CEST 2005

At 04:30 PM 8/22/2005 +0200, Christopher Lenz wrote:
>Am 22.08.2005 um 15:55 schrieb Phillip J. Eby:
>>At 03:09 PM 8/22/2005 +0200, Christopher Lenz wrote:
>>
>>>I've upgraded to 0.6a1 on one machine, and am now getting the
>>>following error for a fresh checkout of my project [1]:
>>>       raise ValueError(
>>>   ValueError: ("Missing 'Version:' header and/or PKG-INFO file",
>>>bitten [unknown version] (/usr/local/src/bitten/trunk))
>>
>>Is there a /usr/local/src/bitten/trunk/bitten.egg-info/PKG-INFO
>>file, with a 'Version:' header in it?  If not, then the error
>>message is correct, and you should go to /usr/local/src/bitten/ trunk and
>>run "setup.py egg_info" to rebuild the project's egg-info.
>
>Running "setup.py egg_info" results in exactly the error I posted. A
>chicken and egg problem, I suppose. ;-)
>
>Note that the error is raised from the "ez_setup.use_setuptools()"
>call in setup.py. If I just import setuptools without going through
>ez_setup, everything works fine. Am I missing something?

No, it probably just means that I need to change the above code to issue a
warning instead of an error and treat the version as '' in that case.  When
it was trapped as an AttributeError, there was no way to find the problem,
but this makes it clear that *not* trapping the error is also a
problem.  So I guess I'll have to change it to issue a warning instead.