[Distutils] setuptools or PyPI problem...?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Aug 22 20:43:44 CEST 2005

At 01:26 PM 8/22/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>I don't know which side this belongs to, but I had a problem when I
>tried to create a package with a "-" in it ("Paste-Deploy").  setup.py
>register worked fine, and created a "Paste-Deploy" project; however,
>when I did an upload it created a "Paste_Deploy-0.1.tar.gz" file, and
>PyPI wouldn't accept it, I believe because it thought it belonged to the
>(nonexistant) Paste_Deploy project.  In the end I just smushed the words
>together, but I figure this really should work.  I don't know if it's
>setuptools (or distutils) that is uploading to PyPI incorrectly, or PyPI
>that is mismatching projects.

Try the latest setuptools; you shouldn't have this problem as I changed it
not to create anything other than eggs with escaped '-' characters.

However, it would be very nice to have PyPI support escaped
nonalphanumerics in filenames, as they are a bitch to deal with
otherwise.  Eggs absolutely have to have an unambiguously parseable
filename, and the only way to do that is by escaping '-' to '_'.  This
means that you can't upload eggs for a project named e.g. 'Paste-Deploy',
if PyPI rejects a Paste_Deploy-whatever.egg file.

On the broader scope of things, I'd like to see PyPI smash all
non-alphanumeric runs in project names to a single '-', and use
case-insensitive project name comparison.  I'd attempt to try my hand at
PyPI patches but at the moment don't have any obvious way to test them.