[Distutils] setuptools deps

Vincenzo Di Massa hawk78_it at yahoo.it
Fri Aug 26 16:45:26 CEST 2005

Hello,
As you know I'm developing easy-deb using setuptools.
I need a way to query a module dependencies, but I don't know how to achieve this.

I need to know dependencies because when I install an egg into a package I don't want the dependencies to go into the same package.
So I detect if setup.py uses setuptools (grep setuptools setup.py) and then:
if the module uses setuptools:
 I call setup.py bdist_egg -d dest/pkg/dir
else:
 I call easy_install.py -d dest/pkg/dir . # in the setup.py containing dir

Is there a way to tell easy_install "don't install dependencies but tell me what they are".

Better, I would like to be able to detect dependencies from inside python.

Thank you

Ciao
Vincenzo