[Distutils] setuptools site-package pollution

Wed Dec 7 11:07:46 CET 2005

Hi all..

Firstly, I would like to say thanks for the setuptools package, which
I was introduced to after reading about the RuleDispatch package on
the IBM developerworks charming python series. Oh btw. RuleDispatch is
the most useful python package that I have seen in the last year in
the python world, so thanks for that also ;)

Now that the congrats and hugs are out of the way, I would like to ask
a question. How can I tell setuptools not to put packages, such as
dispatch, protocols, and setuptools, in a subdirectory named the same
as the egg and to just put the package name.

For example from pydoc I currently get:

c:\python\lib\site-packages\ruledispatch-0.5a0.dev_r2100-py2.4-win32.egg

dispatch (package)

 c:\python\lib\site-packages\pyprotocols-1.0a0dev_r2082-py2.4-win32.egg

dispatch
 protocols (package)

  c:\python\lib\site-packages\setuptools-0.6a8-py2.4.egg

easy_install
 pkg_resources
  setuptools (package)
 site

what I would like to see is just:

..\site-packages
dispatch (package)

..\site-packages
protocols (package)

..\site-packages
setuptools (package)

Maybe it is just a pet-peeve, but I like to keep a nice tidy
site-packages directory, and these long directory names just seem to
me to be pollution of my site-packages directory in my command shell.

If there is an option to have just the packages, I would really
appreciate someone telling me what it is. If not maybe it could be
considered, and to put whatever meta-data the directory names are
providing somewhere else..

Thanks,

Anthony