[Distutils] A distutils question

Noel O'Boyle no228 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 14:58:00 CET 2005

It's true (see thread below) - I have been scared away from asking
questions about distutils. But here I go...

Can someone help me. I think this is quite a common
problem but there doesn't appear to be any obvious answer:

Can someone suggest how I can write a setup.py for a pure-Python
application that should install on both Linux and Windows?

The application includes a startup script, a package, and some data
files (or package data) referred to by some modules in the package.

The Linux version will be distributed as a source distribution. The
Windows version will be distributed as a bdist_wininst, and should
create a shortcut in the Start Menu folder.

An answer will not only receive my heartfelt thanks, but be
posted on the web (http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~noel/distutils), so that
others will not have the same problem. A method that will work for both
Python 2.3 and 2.4 would be the most appreciated.

---------contents of development directory
setup.py
README
MANIFEST.in