[Distutils] Using printf from within a C extension

mike cantor mcantor at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 9 01:43:49 CET 2005

Hi,

I am extending python with C and trying to debug with printf.   The code
below succssfully returns the string "hello" when compiled and called, but
the "can print from in here phrase" does not reach python stdout.  Is there
something screwy with my environment or is there some trick to this that I
don't know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-mike

#include <Python.h>

static PyObject*
helloworld(PyObject* self)
{
     printf("can print from in here?");
     return Py_BuildValue("s", "hello");
}

static char hw_docstr[] = "hello docstr";

static PyMethodDef hw_funcs[] = {
     {"helloworld", (PyCFunction)helloworld, METH_NOARGS, hw_docstr},
     {NULL}
};

void
inithelloworld(void)
{
     Py_InitModule3("helloworld",hw_funcs, "simple module");
}