[Distutils] local development scenarios

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Dec 11 03:32:39 CET 2005

At 06:22 PM 12/10/2005 -0800, tgreenwood wrote:
>Phillip -
>Perhaps this is another obvious rtfm question, but here goes. How can I
>add custom actions to the build? I'm used to writing ant scripts to
>create build targets and chain dependencies, etc.
>
>In the python/egg world, I'd like to do the same thing. For instance,
>I'd like to define a target that would:
>~  - generate the egg ala bdist_egg
>~  - generate my restructured text documentation (vim.vst)...not sure how
>to call this from vim yet, but I'm sure it's possible
>~  - run my unittest suite
>~  - deploy resulting egg to my ftp site

The 'alias' command lets you define new "setup.py" commands as a
combination of existing commands:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#alias-define-shortcuts-for-commonly-used-commands

The 'upload' command sends eggs and/or source distributions to PyPI:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#upload-upload-source-and-or-egg-distributions-to-pypi

And you can extend setuptools with new commands via entry points, although
usually it's best to package these in a separate egg from the project you
will use them on:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#creating-distutils-extensions
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#adding-commands