[Distutils] eggs on distutils-sig

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Dec 13 12:08:29 CET 2005

Stephen Langer wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>>> -1
>>>
>>> In the months that I've been subscribed to this list, I haven't
>>> really
>>> seen any *other* discussion that seems geared towards improving
>>> distribution of Python modules and add-ons.
>> Ditto.  Setuptools is the most active distutils-related development
>> right now, no surprise there's lots of messages on it.  The volume
>> is a
>> *good* thing ;)
>
> I guess the concern is that the dominance of setuptools message is
> scaring away people with old-fashioned distutils questions.  There
> haven't been many of those lately, and some of them seem to have
> received no response.  I don't think that splitting the list in two
> is a solution, though.  There's not enough traffic to warrant that
> (except for a brief spurt a week or so ago...)

Point taken.

I would like to get the development and integration of important
distribution formats going again.

For me, bdist_deb, bdist_msi, bdist_nsis, bdist_inno as well as
some other formats used by HP-UX and Solaris are more important
than inventing yet another package manager.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 13 2005)