[Distutils] bdist_nsis, bdist_deb, bdist_msi, bdist_inno, bdist_pkgtool, bdist_sdux, bdist_mpkg, etc.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Dec 13 20:13:09 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2005, at 3:34 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to focus attention on these distribution formats
>>> that distutils is missing:
>>>

>> I'd like to another important candidate to the list:
>>
>> bdist_mpkg:
>>    Mac OS X installer format
>>    Part of py2app by Bob Ippolito
>>    http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html#bdist-mpkg-documentation
>
> bdist_mpkg is actually available on its own now, but I'm not sure adding
> it to distutils is a great idea.  The current version is already moved
> over to setuptools, and I'm pretty close to adding egg support to it.  I
> may even require that the Python bits of the installation package are
> eggs, as that would allow me to remove a bunch of code.  Eggs mostly
> obsolete what bdist_mpkg is for, but it's also used to install things
> like documentation and example code, so I'm not going to drop it
> altogether.

Looks like now is a good time to add it to distutils then :-)

Eggs are nice for plugins and application add-ons, but I don't
think they should be used for system wide installation of
Python extensions - these need to be under the control of
the system's installer which also deals with the Python
installation itself.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 13 2005)