[Distutils] bdist_nsis, bdist_deb, bdist_msi, bdist_inno, bdist_pkgtool, bdist_sdux, bdist_mpkg, etc.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Dec 13 22:42:13 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> bdist_mpkg is actually available on its own now, but I'm not sure adding
>>> it to distutils is a great idea.  The current version is already moved
>>> over to setuptools, and I'm pretty close to adding egg support to it.  I
>>> may even require that the Python bits of the installation package are
>>> eggs, as that would allow me to remove a bunch of code.  Eggs mostly
>>> obsolete what bdist_mpkg is for, but it's also used to install things
>>> like documentation and example code, so I'm not going to drop it
>>> altogether.
>>
>> Looks like now is a good time to add it to distutils then :-)
>
> No.  Definitely not.
> In other words, I don't consent to adding bdist_mpkg to Python until it
> supports eggs.

Ok, then I'll remove the above candidate from the list.

Anyone else interested in writing a bdist_mpkg command
that doesn't require setuptools ?

Given the good documentation for the format, this shouldn't
be hard:

http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/PackageMaker_Howto.html

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 13 2005)