[Distutils] [setuptools] Keeping up with SVN (was: Re: setup.py develop inaccurate...)

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Dec 18 15:52:47 CET 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
[...]
> 0.2.2.dev-r21160 was installed, but your requirement was for 0.2.2-r21160.
>
> The installed version is r21160 of an in-development pre-release of 0.2.2,
> while your requirement is for an r21160 *post*-release patch of 0.2.2.
>
> In other words, the error is due to a typo in your requirement.

Think-o, in fact.  Sorry, I posted too quickly.

> With respect to the idea of doing SVN updates of dependencies (as opposed
> to doing fresh checkouts and egg builds), it's an interesting idea but it
> seems like the implementation would be complex, to say the least.  A key
[...]

I wasn't surprised to find it works the way it does, but mildly
disappointed.

Do other people work with multi-egg projects (that don't necessarily share
a single version control root), and want to make it possible for people to
keep up with version control without updating multiple SVN checkouts by
hand (and without doing multiple checkouts)?  SVN in particular.  I know
one can always just write a simple script to do this kind of thing, but
multiple platforms, changing dependencies, mucking around with PYTHONPATH
or .pth files etc. make it less simple, which makes setuptools attractive.

Probably I should instead work to get rid of my scrappy little release
scripts, use branches a bit more, and just release much more often...

John