[Distutils] using distutils / setuptools on Windows (MinGW)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Dec 19 19:20:42 CET 2005

At 04:59 PM 12/19/2005 +0100, Daniel Glöckner wrote:
>Maybe I can contribute to the project by giving you a more recent
>documentation on compiling and deploying python code and python C
>extensions on windows using
>-MinGW

FYI, the shortest path to using MinGW with distutils or setuptools is to
run this script and follow its directions:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-January/041676.html

Once you've done that, the version of Python you ran it with will use the
MinGW compiler automatically for all building, with no '-cmingw32' required.

The script should probably be added to Python's "tools" directory,
particularly for Windows.  I've just never gotten around to going through
the necessary ceremony to get it in.

Martin v Loewis has also offered to change Python's Windows distribution a
bit so that the script would be unnecessary, except for setting the [build]
options in distutils.cfg, but I'm not sure if that's happened yet either,
even for Python 2.5.  But the script will work for Python 2.3 and up, maybe
even 2.2.