[Distutils] bdist_nsis, bdist_deb, bdist_msi, bdist_inno, bdist_pkgtool, bdist_sdux, etc.

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Dec 20 19:14:01 CET 2005

Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de> writes:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> writes:
>
>>> What do you have in mind - a bdist_wininst lookalike for
>>> Python packages, built with inno?
>>
>> Yes. One that creates an Inno setup file and then compiles
>> everything into an installer using the Inno, but installing
>> things much like bdist_wininst (and with the option of
>> building upon the many extra features you get from the
>> InnoSetup system).
>>
>> Bernhard Herzog started one some time ago:
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2001-September/002597.html
>
> FWIW, the code that's linked from that posting is still unchanged in
> Thuban and worked fine last time I made a release about a year ago with
> python 2.3.

>From the code linked in the posting above:

        # and invoke
        if self.run_inno:
            self.spawn(["iscc", iss_file])

This code compiles the generated iss file, but it requires that ISCC is
on the PATH.  I guess that it would be better to use

  os.startfile(iss_file, "compile")

but this requires that os.startfile, which is implemented with
ShellExecute() on Windows, grows an optional second option.
Another example use case would be

  os.startfile("mydocs.pdf", "print")

If this would be accepted, I could upload/commit a patch for that.

Thomas