[Distutils] default installs and plugins

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Dec 21 18:30:40 CET 2005

I'm still finding it impossible to use multiple versions of a package
unless none of them show up in a .pth file (i.e., none are available
without requiring), I get a VersionConflict.  I think this may be
because I iterate over entry points early on, then do a require later.

Conversely, if I don't have a default version installed, I don't see any
entry points while iterating until the package is required.  I can kind
of resolve this by adding a --require option to any command that uses
plugins, but this feels like I'm going down the path of CLASSPATH-like
command invocation.

I'm not even sure what the resolution would or can be, except that it
means that I don't see any way to reasonably use versioning and plugins
together.  This worries me, since I have lots of code that is both
package and plugin, and if this is the situation then I'll have to move
to non-root installs everywhere I want version isolation.  (Which I
actually suspect I'll have to do anyway, but I was hoping that things
would at least be usable without it).