[Distutils] bdist_nsis, bdist_deb, bdist_msi, bdist_inno, bdist_pkgtool, bdist_sdux, etc.

Mark W. Alexander slash at dotnetslash.net
Wed Dec 21 23:54:48 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:26:17PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to focus attention on these distribution formats
> that distutils is missing:

[snip]

> bdist_pkgtool:
>   Package format used on Solaris
>   There was a code contribution by Mark Alexander for this, but it had
> to be removed due to licensing issues:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/Lib/distutils/command/Attic/
>
> bdist_sdux:
>   Package format used on HP-UX
>   Same issues as with bdist_pkgtool.

While I'm now employed where I could probably re-implement those without any
licensing issues, I no longer need them nor do I have any HP or Sun boxes to
beat about with them. I'd be willing to help if someone else's interested, but
the previous implementation was left with my previous employer.

I agree that Distutils support for these is key to broader acceptance of
Python. As a former-proprietary-enterprise-sysadmin, having something that
integrates with the native package manager beats the CPAN approach hands down
for sw inventory and configuration management.

mwa
--
Mark W. Alexander
slash at dotnetslash.net

The contents of this message authored by Mark W. Alexander are released under
the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.  Copyright of quoted
materials, if any, are retained by the original author(s).