[Distutils] bdist_nsis, bdist_deb, bdist_msi, bdist_inno, bdist_pkgtool, bdist_sdux, etc.

Mark W. Alexander slash at dotnetslash.net
Wed Dec 21 23:54:48 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:26:17PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to focus attention on these distribution formats
> that distutils is missing:

> bdist_pkgtool:
>   Package format used on Solaris
>   There was a code contribution by Mark Alexander for this, but it had
> to be removed due to licensing issues:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/Lib/distutils/command/Attic/
> bdist_sdux:
>   Package format used on HP-UX
>   Same issues as with bdist_pkgtool.

While I'm now employed where I could probably re-implement those without any
licensing issues, I no longer need them nor do I have any HP or Sun boxes to
beat about with them. I'd be willing to help if someone else's interested, but
the previous implementation was left with my previous employer.

I agree that Distutils support for these is key to broader acceptance of
Python. As a former-proprietary-enterprise-sysadmin, having something that
integrates with the native package manager beats the CPAN approach hands down
for sw inventory and configuration management.

Mark W. Alexander
slash at dotnetslash.net

The contents of this message authored by Mark W. Alexander are released under
the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.  Copyright of quoted
materials, if any, are retained by the original author(s).