[Distutils] SuSE 10.0 & distutils

cmire gnuguy at thelink.net
Fri Dec 30 18:11:55 CET 2005

I have SuSE 10.0 installed on my machine, and it comes with Python 2.4.1.
I've been trying to build Zope on this box, and I'm getting an error that it
can't find distutils.cmd.  I did some digging, and it appears this is part of
distutils.core, and according to the distutils download page, distutils
should be already included with Python versions above 1.6.

I checked where my system has Python installed, and it's
at /usr/lib/python2.4.  I did a find for that directory and all the
subdirectories for anything distutils, and nothing came back.

Is it just a straightforward thing to download the distutils tar file and
install it, or since it wasn't included with my Python install (and should
have been), is there anything special I should check or be aware of?

Thanks,
Charles Mire