[Distutils] distutils version numbering

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 5 22:47:32 CET 2005

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I'm writing a custom 'build_scripts' command
> that works around a bug in earlier versions
> of distutils, i.e. it makes scripts executable
> on posix platforms after they got copied to
> the build_dir.
>
> I'm looking for a discriminator that allows
> me to decide whether or not to run the code,
> depending on whether the distutils version
> requires it.
>
> It seems the version coming with python 2.2
> requires it, while python 2.3 and up don't.
> However, distutils.__version__ for python 2.2
> as well as python 2.3 are the same ('1.0.3') !
>
> Am I just looking in the wrong place ?

No, there was no distutils release after 1.0.3.
Starting with Python 2.4, distutils seem to follow
the Python version number (even though I'm not really
sure who made that decision and what the motivation
was).

You should probably switch on both the distutils
and Python version (it was and still is possible
to install the current distutils package for
Python 2.1).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 05 2005)