[Distutils] Trouble packaging data files.

Oliver Schoenborn oliver.schoenborn at utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 16 14:01:34 CET 2005

Yarden Katz wrote:

>Oliver Schoenborn <oliver.schoenborn at utoronto.ca> writes:
>

>>I would guess it's your (possibly missing) MANIFEST file, which should
>>include a line for the data stuff.
>>

>If I "rm MANIFEST" and let distutils recreate it, the problem doesn't change.  Am I supposed to manually edit MANIFEST?

Actually, I meant the MANIFEST*.in* file: AFAIR, sdist only includes
certain known files (*.py etc) and you have to tell it what else to
include in the MANIFEST.in file. The MANIFEST file is automatically
generated if it doesn't exist. OTOH, I think you can directly create a
MANIFEST file, it does not get overwritten if it already exists *and
*there is no *.in* file.

I have refactored the manifest code into a separate module that you can
use for packaging data for other build commands, such as bdist, let me
know if you would like to give it a try (haven't had time to submit it
as a patch yet). I used it to package a database and config files etc
with my distribution.

Oliver