[Distutils] easy_install: setup.py-less packages

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jul 4 01:01:09 CEST 2005

Hi; trying to get back into this again...

So, there's a package at http://svn.saddi.com/flup/trunk/ that I want to
install, but it has no setup.py file.  I think that file should look
something like:

from setuptools import setup
setup(name="flup",
        packages=['flup', 'flup.middleware', 'flup.resolver', 'flup.server']
        version='0.0-devel-r???')

And I'd probably add other things, but I think that's all that's
required.  So... how should I make this happen?  Should I hardcode
'http://svn.saddi.com/flup/trunk' into the setup.py file?  Can I make
the location overrideable with an option?  How do I download the
checkout?  What was in a function before is now in
setuptools.package_index.PackageIndex, and involves all sorts of data
that doesn't seem to imply (because it's not a package without the
setup.py file, and there's no index to get it from).

Should I calculate r??? on my own, and if so where?  Right before I call
setup()?  I need the repository location to do so, so if the repository
location was overrideable then I'd need to get the real location.

Once the files are checkout out, how do I put it in place?  Is there a
way to set the "base path" for the packages, so I could say "install
these packages, found in /tmp/wherever-it-was-downloaded-to"?

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org