[Distutils] buildutils

Ryan Tomayko rtomayko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 05:43:31 CEST 2005

I'm getting ready to announce/release a new project I've been working
on over the past week or so called "buildutils". It's a set of
extensions to distutils that are oriented toward the build process.
For example, there are commands for generating MD5/SHA-1 checksum
files for distributables, running py.test based unit tests, pushing
doc/distributables to another site via ssh/scp, etc. My goal is to
remove make from my python development process.

The package consists almost entirely of additional distutils
commands; there's very little additional apparatus. It uses
setuptools, taking advantage of its dependency resolution features to
install command dependencies when commands are executed, which lets
us put all commands in the box but not require dependencies until
commands are actually used.

Everything is still a little rough but there's more information here:

http://buildutils.lesscode.org/

I was wondering if there would be any interest in directing mailing
list discussion to the distutils-sig mailing list. Build commands may
not be part of the SIG's charter but I figure most of the discussion
will be relevant. The expertise of the members of this list would be
a huge help.

Perhaps I can try to point command development related discussion
here while pushing support and usage related discussion to a
different list?

I apologize if I'm being dense. I'm not familiar with SIG process but
would like to involve as much of the community as possible.

Thanks,

Ryan Tomayko
                                  rtomayko at gmail.com
                                  http://naeblis.cx/rtomayko/