[Distutils] easy_install: setup.py-less packages

Ryan Tomayko rtomayko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 08:46:51 CEST 2005

On Jul 4, 2005, at 1:47 AM, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> You then publish your wrapping package as a subversion URL.  This
>> won't
>> work for auto-discovery from PyPI unless your URL ends with
>> Flup.egg or
>> something like that, but you can always give it to EasyInstall as
>> a URL,
>> or build eggs and publish those.
>
> Yes.  Hmm... I suppose I could create something that redirected from a
> detectable URL to the actual URL.  That's kind of hacky though.  Only
> being able to list actual eggs decreases the utility of a custom
>   Could it also look at title attributes or something?
>
> It would be neat if you could download a working development copy with
> easy_install too.  I'd like to encourage, or at least assist,
> people who
> want to interact with the code itself; and if you use a checkout
> you can
> at least use things like svn diff, even if you can't necessarily
> commit.

That's interesting. If you could point to subversion repositories
from an index page, you could throw a page somewhere with a big list
of project subversion URLs that use some kind of convention on naming...

such that

   $ easy_install.py foo-devel

... would grab and install the latest foo-devel from subversion.

This would make a ton of sense in my development layout right now.

Ryan Tomayko
                                  rtomayko at gmail.com
                                  http://naeblis.cx/rtomayko/