[Distutils] eggs: Python version independence

Clayton Brown claytonbrowns at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:12:19 CEST 2005

Sort of on this topic, handy hint...to maintain a couple of python
versions i did this with a bash sript (/usr/local/bin/pypan.sh) called
'pypan' funnily given all the naming issues of late.
This just keeps my python instance in sync with each other for when i
need to migrate to 2.4

---8<----pypan.sh-------8<-----8<----------8<-----8<----------8<-----8<----------8<-----8<----------8<-----
echo "=================================================="
echo "PyPAN - Python Site Packages Installer running...."
echo "=================================================="
echo "python23 - installing using: /usr/local/Python2.3.4/bin/easy_install.py"
python23 /usr/local/Python2.3.4/bin/easy_install.py $1
echo "\n\n"
echo "python24 - installing using: /usr/local/bin/easy_install.py"
python24 /usr/local/bin/easy_install.py $1
---8<----pypan.sh-------8<-----8<----------8<-----8<----------8<-----8<----------8<-----8<----------8<-----

Ill probably extend this to also use wget and keep a repository of all
source packages, but recall seing this functionality in easy_install
itself - and since it has better dig options etc best use it i think,
long term i would like to use the (-m) option by default to always
maintain mutliple versions of a package, but in my first attempt this
require() method described failed to import the package that i had
installed multiple versions of.

Ideally python itself could be extended with the functionality
easy_install provides, particularly to resolve latest version when not
specified, and to alllow version specification at run time.