[Distutils] ANN: buildutils-0.1.0 - Distutils extensions for developing Python libraries and applications.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 7 19:12:54 CEST 2005

At 12:02 PM 7/7/2005 -0400, Ryan Tomayko wrote:
>I'm happy to announce that an initial 0.1.0 version of Python Buildutils
>is available.

Looks nice; I could easily see wanting to steal some of those commands for
setuptools.  :)

Interestingly, there's some overlap between the commands as they exist
now.  For example, your 'use' command could use the setuptools "develop"
command to install and uninstall development eggs safely on all platforms
(note that Windows doesn't do symlinks) and your code is making a false
assumption that .egg-info will always be in the package checkout's
root.  It might be better to have your 'use' command just be a wrapper for
running the 'develop' command in each of the named projects, so that those
details will work right.  (i.e., AFAICT 'use' is short for cd-ing to each
project and doing "pbu develop".)

Also, there's some limited overlap between the new "upload" in setuptools
and your "publish"; the difference being that "upload" only does source and
egg uploads to PyPI.  (I just implemented a workaround for the absence of
egg support in PyPI.)