[Distutils] ANN: buildutils-0.1.0 - Distutils extensions for developing Python libraries and applications.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jul 8 21:39:01 CEST 2005

At 03:14 PM 7/8/2005 -0400, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>This is a very handy conversation... it coincides with work I'm doing
>quite nicely.
>
>On 7/8/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > FYI, --script-dir defaults to --install-dir if you explicitly set
> > --install-dir, so the above could read:
> >
> >      python setup.py develop --install-dir=../buildutils -m
> >
> > or for the ultimate in cryptic brevity:
> >
> >      python setup.py develop -md../buildutils
> >
> > :)
> >

>This is a good trick. Unfortunately, it's not working for me.
>Removing the older egg from the easy-install.pth file fixed this
>problem... I was able to find the new version that was linked in just
>fine.

Sounds like it is working for you, then.  :)

Seriously, pkg_resources is very conservative right now about versioning;
if you install something without the -m flag, then you are telling it that
that is the version you want to use, period.  Part of the problem is that
pkg_resources adds new versions to the *end* of sys.path, which means that
if you have an older version already on sys.path when you ask for the newer
one, there's no way that pkg_resources can safely change the path to allow
the new version to take effect.

The moral is that you probably want to use -m even for site-packages
installations, unless there's a good reason to do otherwise.  The reason -m
doesn't get used by default for site-packages is because I want people
whose use case is just "install this thing and make it work like I'm used
to" to have a good experience with EasyInstall.  :)

Conversely, I figure smart people like you will know (or learn) that they
want --multi-version/-m for all their site-packages
installs.  :)  (Eventually, we can change this default, once the majority
of packages declare their dependencies.)

>As an aside, the thing that I'm trying to debug in A is a "Not a
>directory" error that I think is a __file__ usage.

You might try grepping for use of __file__ and __path__ in .py files; it's
rare to touch either of those for any reason but data file access.