[Distutils] setuptools for people behind a firewall

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Jul 12 17:50:12 CEST 2005

Ryan Tomayko wrote:
> I'm still waiting to see how people maintaining python packages for
> Linux/BSD distributions feel about eggs. So far I don't think they've
> had to think about it a whole lot.

Hopefully this will make package generation much much easier -- the only
issue I can see is the mismatch in the names of packages and
dependencies (since generally package names are parameterized with "py-"
or "python-" or somesuch).  Actually putting the one file in its place
should be easy, of course.

Well... the other issue is that eggs support the installation of
multiple versions simultaneously; for most packaging systems to support
this the package name has to grow a version number too, which is rather
awkward.