[Distutils] ez_setup doesn't finish partial install

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 12 22:06:26 CEST 2005

I was trying to install setuptools, and I ended up running into a
permissions error:

% MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 python ez_setup.py
Downloading http://www.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.5a11-py2.3.egg.zip
Processing setuptools-0.5a11-py2.3.egg
Copying setuptools-0.5a11-py2.3.egg to /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
Adding setuptools 0.5a11 to easy-install.pth file
Installing easy_install.py script to /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin
error: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/easy_install.py: Permission denied

So I fixed permissions and tried again:

% MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 python ez_setup.py
Setuptools successfully installed or upgraded.

But after the above, I still don't have an easy_install.py script.  I
had to delete the easy-install and setuptools .egg and .pth files from
/Library/Python/2.3/site-packages to get it to install
easy_install.py.

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>