[Distutils] ez_setup doesn't finish partial install

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jul 12 22:44:54 CEST 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> I was trying to install setuptools, and I ended up running into a
> permissions error:
>
> % MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 python ez_setup.py
> Downloading http://www.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/
> setuptools-0.5a11-py2.3.egg.zip
> Processing setuptools-0.5a11-py2.3.egg
> Copying setuptools-0.5a11-py2.3.egg to /System/Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
> Adding setuptools 0.5a11 to easy-install.pth file
> Installing easy_install.py script to /System/Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin
> error: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/
> easy_install.py: Permission denied

The default location for binaries is in-framework, which is almost
always the last place you want to have it.  Especially for the System
Python.

You want to override this default like bdist_mpkg does.  I don't know
the ez_setup syntax for it, but the distutils install command option
is --install-scripts=/usr/local/bin

-bob