[Distutils] setuptools 0.5a12

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 13 02:45:38 CEST 2005

Hopefully, this is the last of the current spew of bugfix releases,
although in this case I also threw in some revisions to pkg_resources'
handling of resource extraction.  You can now control the cache explicitly
using a PYTHON_EGGS_CACHE variable, and on Windows the default if you don't
specify it is now a "Python-Eggs" directory under the current user's
"application data" directory.  Also, extraction takes place to a temporary
filename that is then renamed to the final name, in order to prevent race
conditions with other threads or processes.  So, assuming this change works
well, I will start making the zip safety checks a little less stringent, so
that mere use of C extensions or data files won't disqualify an egg from
being installed in zipped form.

However, that will be in the 0.6 series of releases, which will be focused
mainly on getting both pkg_resources and the entire easy_install family of
code under a solid test regime.  I'm currently releasing as many new bugs
as I am new features, so that's got to stop right away.  My current plan is
to see if I can jury-rig doctest to do tests on the output of various
easy_install commands, running them in various temporary environments.  The
result of this process may be that EasyInstall ends up with additional
options to control testing behavior.  (For example, I can't test
easy-install.pth manipulation by installing to a temporary directory!)

As part of the move to full test automation, I'll also be refactoring
pkg_resources to match the design I posted here a while back, and
implementing core engine features like Ryan's "legacy.py" option, my
"add_activation_listener()", etc.  The PythonEggs page could really use
some updating, too, to catch up even to the current API, let alone the
future one.  It also has some bits that should be removed since they
document manual ways to do things that setuptools does
automatically.  (e.g. creating a 'depends.txt' file when setuptools now
just uses the 'install_requires' and 'extras_require' keywords.