[Distutils] Adding egg support (Resource API) to existing packages

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 17:44:04 CEST 2005

On 7/14/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 10:26 AM 7/14/2005 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> >What I'm saying, is that I see a need for *another* transitional
> >process - enabling users and/or package authors to make their code
> >"resource safe", *without* having to buy into the egg/setuptools
> >transition.
>
> It still seems to me that you're missing something.  If I don't care about
> eggs, why would I care about resource safety?  Its only benefit is to allow
> my code to be put in an egg!  :)

You don't care about eggs (yet). Your users (one of whom is me) do,
and would like to package your code in an egg via python setup.py
--compiler-package=setuptools.command bdist_egg. This works fine, with
no source changes, but the resulting egg isn't zip-safe because of
resource usage issues.

Your user (me) can maintain a small local patch to switch to the
resource API, but it would be nice to fold that patch into the
distribution, and so avoid the need for a local patch. But the patch
that is small for your user with setuptools installed, is large *for
you* because you don't (yet) buy into the benefits of eggs (and hence
the patch adds a dependency you don't want). So you reject the patch.

Please be aware that the point about eggs that excites *me* is the
single-file aspect. I'm pretty neutral over unpacked eggs at the
moment, so zip-safety is a big bonus for me.

I think we're going to have to agree to differ here. Thanks for
sticking with it this far.

Paul.