[Distutils] easy_install: fragment support

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Jul 17 05:03:32 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 06:17 PM 7/16/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> I've attached a patch to detect fragments.
>

> Would you mind doing it as a unidiff?  I'm having trouble
> understanding/applying it without context.  Thanks.

Sure, attached again...

>> It seems better to have some magic version string for development,
>> that is neither more or less than other versions (or at least it
>> depends on context -- it's the highest version number when using
>> --develop [should that be implemented], and the lowest otherwise).
>> But that's only useful given a --develop option to easy_install.py.
>

> I was actually thinking that such packages should have their
> Distribution object be of a new 'type', which would have lower
> precedence than other distribution types unless development mode was in
> effect (in which case other distribution types would be ignored).

You mean like a Distribution subclass?  Would that class just be used
anytime there wasn't any version information, or would there be a way of
indicating that it was a development version in the filename/fragment?

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org