[Distutils] easy_install: fragment support

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Jul 17 05:37:45 CEST 2005

At 10:03 PM 7/16/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>At 06:17 PM 7/16/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>>
>>>I've attached a patch to detect fragments.
>>
>>Would you mind doing it as a unidiff?  I'm having trouble
>>understanding/applying it without context.  Thanks.
>
>Sure, attached again...

Thanks; I hope you don't mind if I don't include the "make emacs happy" bit
that I don't understand.  :)

>>>It seems better to have some magic version string for development, that
>>>is neither more or less than other versions (or at least it depends on
>>>context -- it's the highest version number when using --develop [should
>>>that be implemented], and the lowest otherwise).
>>>But that's only useful given a --develop option to easy_install.py.
>>
>>I was actually thinking that such packages should have their Distribution
>>object be of a new 'type', which would have lower precedence than other
>>distribution types unless development mode was in effect (in which case
>>other distribution types would be ignored).
>
>You mean like a Distribution subclass?

No, I mean a distribution type (the 'distro_type' attribute of
Distribution).  There are currently type codes for eggs, binary
distributions (e.g. win32.exe), and source distributions.  The type code is
a tie-breaker in sorting, when two distributions have the same version; if
more than one suitable package of the highest version is available,
EasyInstall chooses to use eggs or binaries in preference to source
distributions.  Similarly, I was thinking we would select a type code that
would cause CVS/Subversion checkouts to have an even lower precedence
unless --develop was supplied.

I'm also thinking that --develop should take an argument: a parent
directory in which the package(s) should be checked out.