[Distutils] setuptools and Mac OS X minor updates

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jul 19 16:18:08 CEST 2005

At 10:10 AM 7/19/2005 -0400, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>This morning, I updated to Mac OS 10.4.2 and then discovered that one
>of my eggs could no longer be found. Rebuilding the egg gave me the
>answer: Darwin had bumped from 8.1 to 8.2.
>
>My guess is that an egg built under Mac OS 10.4.2 will work just fine
>on a 10.4.1 Mac. It would be a drag to have a separate egg for each
>minor revision of the OS.
>
>Should this be done differently? I seem to remember an option for
>setting the platform, but I wouldn't want to do something that would
>break how easy_install does things.

The get_platform() and compatible_platforms() functions in pkg_resources
are the place to look.  If you have a good understanding of a particular
platform, please propose a standard for coding and interpreting its
platform tag.  Win32 is my main development platform, and "win32" is all
Python ever generates as a platform, so I have no knowledge of what the
issues may be on various other systems, especially Mac (which I have zero
experience with).

But those two functions are wide open for patches to deal with the vagaries
of other operating systems, as you'll see from the XXX comments
there.  Please propose algorithms or submit patches for operating systems
you're familiar with.  Thanks!