[Distutils] easy_install: application description files

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 20 21:41:19 CEST 2005

Are there currently any thoughts about application descriptions?

For reasons actually unrelated to easy_install, I'm going to be adding
files describing applications at work.  These files contain all sorts of
company-specific metadata.  I'd like to include descriptions of
dependencies, for use by various tools (or maybe just by easy_install,
should it do everything I want).

Right now all the metadata goes in setup(), which is perhaps okay, but
requires distutils/setuptools to implement all the features, because the
file itself isn't (realistically) parseable without running it.  But in
this context an ini file would probably be better.  Phillip, I know you
like the ini files, so you must have something in mind for this.  I'm
not seeing anything particular in the documentation, though.

Or do I put everything in setup() and use some of the files produced by
that?  I see .egg-info/requires.txt contains the requirement information
(BTW, it's missing a trailing newline).  Should I just use that
directory as my application-metadata storage area?  Would I add that
directory to my repository?  If so, is it recommended I ignore
top_level.txt and requires.txt as derivative?

Completely unrelated, easy_install installs executable .pyc files.  Is
that intended?  They actually don't seem to be .pyc files either, just
copies of the .py files.